The graphic design and photos on a website are one half of the website design equation. The other half is how you design your text.
Designing your text well will help you:
- Make your text easier to read
- Encourage your visitors to read the important text on your site
- Make the information on your site easier for your visitors to access
- Achieve your website goals.
This consists of considerations like:
- Understanding the differences between how people read in print vs. online
- Following some general text design rules that apply to all designed pieces
- Using the limited number of fonts available online to your advantage
- Understanding the implications of using text in an image vs. as HTML
- Using style sheets to manage your fonts
- Underlining and how to use it online
- Using signatures
- How to call attention to special text
- Using custom fonts in-line with other text
Over the next several days, I’ll explain all of these areas and how you can maximize your text design online.