3. Your logo needs to be technically well-done. This means that it needs to be:
- Scalable: Your logo may need to be blown up to the size of a billboard, or shrunk down to the size of a postage stamp.
- Created as a vector art file: You need to have your logo as an EPS or Illustrator vector art file to enable it to be scaled, and to make it as easy as possible to use in the future.
- Assigned PMS colors, as well as CMYK and RGB colors. Having Pantone (PMS) colors on your logo will make printing your materials on a press more affordable. And, having CMYK and RGB colors as well will make your logo more flexible and consistent across different media, like online.
- Available to you in several file formats: You may get a request from a partner company to put your logo on their website as a GIF file. You'll need that format, as well as TIF, JPG, EPS, and probably a few others. Make sure you get these from your designer so that you don't have to spend time and money recreating these formats later on.
- Legible. You need to have your company's name be readable in the logo – no matter how big or small it is. And, this should be an easy read: no using flowery cursive fonts that make it hard to read your company's name. Your clients don't want to work that hard.
- Archived on a CD. Better yet, archive it on a few CDs – keep one at a friends' house, another in your car, another in your home, and another in your office. It may seem excessive, but you never want to lose all your logo files. CDs are cheap and easy to burn these days, so you might as well go overboard.
4. Your logo must be timeless. Don't develop your logo based on a trend – otherwise, you'll wind up looking dated, like all of those computer/technology companies from the late 1990s that had "swooshes" in their logos. You don't want your clients to be able to tell when you started your business just by looking at how outdated your logo is. Also, if you're creating your logo based on a trend, you'll be more likely to look like your competition instead of creating a logo that looks unique.