Everybody gets stuck.
I’ll be rolling right along, getting creative, making stuff… and then it’s like I roll through a sticky-taffy roadblock, like in an old cartoon.
And things grind to a halt.
This seems to happen more often when I’m evolving and changing my brand. The new territory just gets a bit tough to navigate sometimes.
If you’re ever stuck in your brand, trying to figure out what’s next or how to do that next thing… here’s a quick little list of the things I do to get unstuck:
- Talk to a friend about it and get their support and perspective.
- Change my scenery – leave the house and go haunt a coffee shop for a while.
- Admit I’m stuck and turn off my technology. Go read a book, take a bath, relax the brain. And start over the next day.
- Walk around the block.
- Hunt for inspiration on the internet (but not for too long…)
- Try an opposites exercise – where I make a list of the things I don’t want for the new brand or the new project. Look for comparisons.
- Think about what’s working currently in my brand and work from there.
- Think about how I want to feel when it’s done.
- Explore metaphors for the new thing.
- Draw a picture of what I want it to be like.
- Drink some tea.
- Sing a song.
- Change the Pandora station.
- Read an inspiring newsletter.
- Just do something. Write or design anything, even if it’s not good.
- Outline it.
- Get out the post-it notes and cluster-map it.
- Get out the really big paper (flip charts) and go to town.
- Ask a question on Facebook.
What do you do when you’re stuck? Please, please, share it in the comments below – I’d love to hear!